CASE REPORT
Cardiotoxic effect due to accidental ingestion of an organic solvent
 
More details
Hide details
1
Medical University of Lodz, Łódź, Poland (Chair and Department of Cardiology, Bieganski Hospital)
2
Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Łódź Poland (Toxicological Laboratory)
3
Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Łódź, Poland (Toxicology Unit)
4
Medical University of Lodz, Łódź, Poland (Faculty of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry)
CORRESPONDING AUTHOR
Urszula Izabela Cieślik-Guerra   

Medical University of Lodz, Chair and Department of Cardiology, Bieganski Hospital, Kniaziewicza 1/5, 91-347 Łódź, Poland
 
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 2015;28(1):174–179
KEYWORDS
ABSTRACT
Toxic myocardial injury can be misdiagnosed as a myocardial infarction, resulting in the patient undergoing standard treatment for cardiac rehabilitation. However, such inadequate therapeutic strategies can lead to cardiovascular complications including dilated cardiomyopathy. This study presents a case of a 65-year-old man after accidental ingestion of organic solvents (toluene and xylene), whose condition demonstrated all the criteria for diagnosis of myocardial infarction. The qualitative determinations of the above mentioned volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in whole blood were carried out using a headspace sampling by means of gas chromatography. Cardiac catheterization revealed no specific coronary lesions, only a muscular bridge causing a 30–50% stenosis in the middle of the circumflex branch of the left coronary artery.
eISSN:1896-494X
ISSN:1232-1087